I’ve been in the iron game since the age of 14.
My inspiration to the physique that I wanted to build came through reading comic books and watching wrestling.
Meanwhile, it was watching Kiana’s Flex Appeal in the 1990’s where I began to consistently pump iron.
Over my now 22 years in the game and in my 9 years as a professional trainer, I have done many exercises.
Some of those exercises have risen to the top of the mountain due to their effectiveness with building speed, muscle, strength, and athleticism.
The fake hustle exercises that I no longer use dropped to the bottom of the ocean never to be seen again.
Today I want to share with you the top exercises for building muscle and increasing athletic performance.
While there are many other moves that I have used over the years, these are at the top of the food chain for me.
My Top Speed and Jumping Exercises
1) Maximum Velocity Fly Sprints
2) Acceleration Starts (from blocks or 3/4 point stances)
3) Sprint, Float, Sprint
2) Standing Vertical Jumps
3) Run Up Barrier Jumps
4) Broad Jumps
5) Seated Vertical or Broad Jumps
My Top Lower Body Exercises:
2) Barbell Hip Thrust
3) Bulgarian Split Squat (Dumbbell Or Barbell)
4) Barbell Hip/Back Extension
5) Romanian Deadlift
2) Heels Elevated Safety Bar Squat
3) Heels Elevated Squat
4) Walking Lunges (Barbell or Dumbbell)
5) Sissy or Roman Chair Squats
3) Glute Ham Raise
4) Barbell Hip/Back Extensions
5) Kettlebell Swings
1) Standing Calf Raises
2) Seated Calf Raises
My Top Upper Body Exercises
1) Seated Dumbbell Press
2) Lateral Raises
3) Gironda Dumbbell Swings
4) Prone Rear Delt Raises
5) Overhead Press
3) Dumbbell Bench Press
4) Incline Barbell Press
1) Pull-Ups (includes Chin-Ups, Neutral Grip Pull-Ups and Ring Pull-Ups)
3) Dumbbell Pullovers
4) T-Bar Rows
5) Dumbbell Rows
3) Safety Bar or Front Squats
4) Barbell Rollouts
1) EZ Bar Curl
2) Incline Dumbbell Curl
3) Perfect Curl
2) EZ Bar Skullcrushers
3) Decline Dumbbell Tight Press
4) Decline Close Grip Bench Press
1) EZ Bar Wrist Curls
2) Reverse Wrist Curls
3) Heavy Dumbbell Holds
If I Only Had 3 Exercises To Choose To Do:
My Top Exercises For Raw Strength:
1) Deadlift (conventional and trap bar)
2) Barbell Squat
3) Weighted Dips
4) Weighted Chin-Ups
My Top Exercises For Power:
3) Medicine Ball Throws
My Top Exercise For Agility:
1) 5-10-5 Drill (Shuttle Run)
My Top Exercises For Conditioning:
2) Prowler or Sled Pushing
3) Dumbbell or Bodyweight Complexes
My Favorite Workout Programs:
2) ATH Supreme (unreleased to the public)
3) Gironda 8×8
4) A Program I Haven’t Tried
My Top Exercises That I No Longer Use:
1) High Volume Sprinting
2) High Volume Jumping
3) Lat Pulldown
4) Leg Curl
My Favorite Carbs:
My Favorite Proteins:
My Favorite Fats:
1) Egg Yolks
2) Coconut Oil
My Favorite Daily Supplements:
1) Vitamin D
My Favorite Pre-Workout Supplements:
1) Caffeine (specifically coffee)
The top exercises for building muscle and performance are responsible for my improvements over time.
After you finish the article, leave your favorite exercises in the comments section.
You will have some that are different than mine, but the ultimate key to making any exercise work for you is consistent progression.
I’ll holla at you next time.
The People’s Trainer