In natural bodybuilding a real leg day workout separates the contenders from the pretenders. In fact, the hallmark of a true natural bodybuilder is their leg development.
Decent (not elite) pecs, arms, and abs come a dime a dozen. But a stand out pair of wheels is unfortunately as rare as a warm, January day in Philadelphia.
Why Do Some Natural Bodybuilders Have No Wheels?
Fear is undoubtedly the number 1 reason.
Leg day is significantly harder than any upper body workout you can think of. It takes a lot of will and grit to consistently train legs.
You see a true leg workout is more than just a way to build bigger legs. A true leg day workout is also what reveals the character of a lifter.
Many bodybuilders and lifters have convinced themselves that they are some type of lion, tiger, or bear. But how they respond on a tough leg day reveals what they really are.
Most times they are more minnow than tiger.
I’ve known many lifters and bodybuilders who only train their strong points and rarely address their weak points.
For most men, these lifters have decent upper bodies and poor to below average legs. If some of these cats started training legs (and back) they could truly build the body they say they want.
For most women, these lifters actually do train legs. But all too often the workouts lack intensity and favor using too many lame machines instead of doing real work.
You don’t need any fancy equipment to build a stallion-like lower body. You just need to accept the fact that leg day is going to hurt you real bad.
Bodybuilding Leg Workout For Mass
My bodybuilding leg workout for mass is a part of a bigger mesocycle.
This is a 4-day workout split. Ideally you would train on M/W/F/Sa or on Su/Tu/Th/Fr.
You will have 2 upper body workouts, 1 bodybuilding leg workout, and 1 sprinting workout. Sprinting, not jogging, will also add some real beef to your legs, especially to your hamstrings and glutes.
You will perform this program for 3 weeks before deloading for 1 week. After that you will use this same program again for 3 additional weeks before transitioning to another deload week.
Day 1: Upper Body 1
Barbell Bench Press SS Weighted Chin-Ups 7 x 3
Incline Barbell Press SS T-Bar Rows 3 x 8
Weighted Dips SS EZ Bar Curls 2 x 10
Seated Calf Raises 5 x 12
Day 2: Bodybuilding Leg Workout For Mass
Safety Bar Squat SS Glute Ham Raise 7 x 3
Barbell Hack Squat SS RDL 4 x 8-10
Safety Bar Split Squat 2 x 15
Standing Calf Raises 5 x 12
Day 3: Upper Body 2
OHP SS Weighted Hammer Grip Pull-Ups 5 x 5
Rack Pulls SS Seate Dumbbell Press 3 x 10
Lateral Raises SS Dumbbell Pullovers 2 x 10
Seated Calf Raises 5 x 12
Day 4: Sprinting (Hill Sprints)
3 x 30m flys
3 x 100m
• For the RP-21 sets (7 x 3) check out this article to learn how to do the program.
• For your sets of 7 x 3 rest 30 seconds between moves and 60-75 seconds between sets
• For your sets of 5 x 5 rest 45 seconds between moves and 75-90 seconds between sets
• For your sets of 3-4 x 8-10 rest 45 seconds between moves and 90 seconds between sets
• For your sets 2-3 x 10-12 rest 30 seconds between moves and 75 seconds between sets
• For your 2 x 15 split squat sets rest 90 seconds between legs and 180 seconds between sets
• Use a dipping belt for your pull-ups and dips.
• If you are weak with your pull-ups and dips, do them with just your bodyweight until you get stronger.
• If you are really weak with your pull-ups and dips, use the assistance bands to help you. False pride gets you nowhere.
• The leg day is very difficult, but consistently doing it will build bigger legs and a stronger mind.
• Unless you have an injury or serious mobility issues, make sure you get down to the bucket (full range) when you squat.
• Avoiding the bucket for no legit reason is fake hustle.
Leg day is the day that separates the contenders from the pretenders.
Do you want to contend? Or do you want to pretend?
The choice is yours.
I’ll holla at you next time.
The People’s Trainer,