Training for pure speed is not conditioning.
Training for pure speed is not bodybuilding.
Training for pure speed is not high volume tempo running workouts.
Training for pure speed is not running through an agility ladder.
While all those modalities have there own time and place in various training programs, training for pure speed puts the emphasis on speed.
If you are a sprinter, the workout below will have you on the pathway to lowering your time and burning your competition in the 100 meter dash.
Sample Speed Workout
This workout is a dual purpose workout meaning you will be primarily training acceleration and maximum velocity.
Acceleration is how fast it takes you to reach your top speed. Maximum velocity is the fastest speed you can reach.
To excel in the 100 meter dash you need both elements. This classic 100 meter dash workout will start with training acceleration and then transition into training maximum velocity. The details are:
1) Perform a dynamic sprinter warm-up before you begin. You can check out the video below to see what you should do to prepare to sprint.
2) The first part of the workout focuses on improving your acceleration. You will perform three, 30 meter sprints coming from a 3 or 4 point starting position. If you have blocks you can use them.
3) The second part of the workout focuses on improving your maximum velocity. You will perform three, 30 meter flying sprints with a 30 meter acceleration zone lead in.
4) The final part of the workout is one, 80 meter sprint for speed endurance.
You will not be fresh when you perform this rep due to the previous speed work, but I like to use this rep to build specific conditioning for the 100 meter dash. This rep will be performed from a standing start, a 3, or a 4 point start.
5) Cool down, go home, and rest 72 hours before you perform another speed workout.
The speed workout for the 100 meter dash will look like:
-You will rest between 3-6 minutes between reps.
-Get 7-9 hours sleep the night before this workout to maximize your speed.
-Use the Freelap Timing System to record accurate, objective times.
Don’t waste your time using a fake hustle “speed” program. I’ve seen plenty of these egregious programs online and in-person and 99 percent of them make my eyes bleed.
To increase your speed, improve your body composition, and get access to a 12 week sprinting program, please check out my new eBook, Use Speed To Get Lean! The Sprinting Handbook For Lifters.
I’ll holla at you next time.
The People’s Trainer,
You may also be interested in:
DID YOU LIKE THIS POST?
Join our mailing list and be first to get the latest news.